1. the sea dragon mating dance:
- When a male and female weedy sea dragon come together to mate, they perform an elaborate courtship ritual known as a “mirror dance.”
- During the ghostly dance, two beautifully odd-looking fish mirror each other’s every movement.
- At the end of the ritual, the male fish is the one to get pregnant, giving birth two months later, a process the BBC crew filmed for the first time.
2. old maid butterflies:
- “Our study is, to my knowledge, one of the first to empirically show how [butterfly] females change their behaviour according to age”
- Older female butterflies spend up to 55% of their day flying in order to catch the attention of a mate
3. sniffing the perfect mate:
- The scent catches his attention. He turns, sensing she may be the one he has spent his life searching for. He follows her trail, eager to impress. What he has detected in these few moments – from this haze of pheromones – is not that the female is his soul mate, a potential life partner, or someone to captivate his mind. But that she is a virgin.
(photo from the awesome minirobot – i found you again!)