- 3 tablespoons olive oil — up to 4T
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 2 cloves chopped garlic
- 2 cups sweet potatoes — chopped & peeled (Or winter squash)
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped fresh tomatoes
- 3/4 cup chopped sweet peppers
- 1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas
- 3 cups stock or water
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- dash cinnamon
- dash cayenne
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon tamari soy sauce
In a soup kettle or large saucepan, saute onions, garlic, celery and sweet potatoes in olive oil for about five minutes.
Add seasonings, except tamari, and the stock or water.
Simmer, covered, fifteen minutes.
Add remaining vegetables and chickpeas.
Simmer another 10 minutes or so – until all the vegetables are as tender as you like them.
NOTES : The vegetables used in this soup are flexible.
Any orange vegetable can be combined with green…for example, peas or green beans could replace the peppers.
Carrots can be used instead of, or in addition to the squash or sweet potatoes, etc.
Recipe from the “Moosewood Cookbook”